Keep unwanted people from connecting to your network by having a wifi password. Passwords are like swords with two edges. Having to share the Wifi password with friends and guests, on the other hand, is cumbersome.
This can be extremely frustrating, partly because we forget our own wifi password most of the time. It can also be annoying to communicate with a long string of alphanumeric characters.
Secondly, security is a concern. You will now disclose the type of security code you may use for your email or other private accounts if you give your wifi password to a friend or guest. The risk of security compromise is high.
So, considering all factors, do you want to offer your guests the ability to connect to your WiFi without a password? The good news is that WiFi manufacturers are sensitive to these subtle annoyances that may come with password-protecting your internet connection.
So, they have developed a dedicated method to share your wifi without requiring a password. Another way to let your guests access your WiFi without giving out your password is to use a few other tricks.
What is WPS & How Does It Work?
It Provides you with the ability to connect wireless devices without having to enter a password or network name. WiFi Protected Setup stands for WiFi Setup Protected. Why would we need this? There are numerous wireless devices, such as wireless printers or wireless repeaters, where passwords cannot be entered. In these cases, WPS simplifies & speeds up the process.
In To connect our smartphone to a WiFi network, we need to enable WPS on both router and smartphone at the same time. Your smartphone will automatically connect to the Wifi network of this router within a few seconds.
Three ways to make your wireless network accessible to friends and guests without requiring them to enter a password are given below.
Let’s get started:
Connect to Wifi Network using WPS (Wifi Protected Setup)
WiFi Protected Setup, or WPS, is a security standard for networks using WPA or WPA2.
This will allow you to connect to WiFi without having to use a password, right?
If the guest has access to the wifi router, then he/she can push the WPS button on the router to connect. With no password required, the guest will be able to access the wireless network immediately.
It is one of the most common ways to connect to wifi as long as the guest has physical access to the house or office.
It prevents malicious users from stealing your wifi and roaming around your property. WPS can only be accessed by those you have actually invited into your home or office.
In order for the phone or other device to connect to your WiFi network via the WPS function, you will have to configure a few settings. Here’s how to configure your smartphone to use WPS step-by-step.
- Your smartphone’s “Settings” page can be found there.
- Select “Networks and Internet settings” from there.
- Press the “Advanced Option” button in Wifi settings.
- Here is the option – “Connect by WPS” – click it.
- The WPS handshake protocol will be activated. You will be prompted to push the WPS button on the router within 30 seconds when the dialogue box appears. The WPS handshake protocol will cease to function after 30 seconds.
- WPS pins are used instead of a WPS button on some wifi routers. If your router has a WPS button, select it and then enter the WPS pin that you can find on the sticker.
- The phone will connect without requiring a password if everything is done correctly. Unless you tell it to forget the wifi network, it will remain connected.
By using WPS, you do not need to know the WiFi password to connect to any home or office network. WPS is an easy, convenient, and practical method.
Having said that, some of the steps described here will vary depending on the manufacturer and brand of the smartphone. Moreover, iPhones and Macs can’t use this method because WPS isn’t supported by Apple devices.
Set Up A Guest Network On Your Wifi Router
Modern wifi routers offer the option of creating a dedicated guest network. Guests will be connected to a separate network, separate from your own.
The guest network can be configured so that it doesn’t require a password to connect or you can enter an easy-to-remember password like “12345678”.
If you do not provide a password for your guest network, almost anyone with access to the network will attempt to connect to it, causing the network’s overall performance to suffer. When setting up a guest network, this should be taken into account.
Closed offices benefit most from it. Consider that walls enclosing your office space prevent you from receiving the wifi signal. As a result, your network won’t be accessible to outsiders.
You can create a guest network without a password for clients coming into your office in this case. All of your devices will be able to connect to your wifi network using a guest network.
With these step-by-step instructions, you can set up a guest network on your router.
- The first step is to gain access to the router’s back end. To accomplish this, you must enter the IP address of your router in the address bar. On your router you can find the address.
- Log in with your admin credentials to the router.
- An option called “Guest Network” will appear on your router. Your router manufacturer will determine where the option is located. A standalone setting may exist, or you may have to navigate to the “Wireless Settings” menu.
- Using it as a free WiFi network requires enabling “Guest Network.” The Guest Network will need a name and password, but you can omit this step.
- If the guest network supports bandwidth throttling, you can activate that setting.
- Click the ‘Save’ button to confirm your settings.
The guest network can now be directed to clients or friends so they can connect without entering passwords.
Substitute Password With a QR Code
Could a QR code replace your wifi password? You can now have a friend, client, or guest scan the QR code to connect to your wifi without a password whenever they visit your home.
You will need the QR code which represents the alphanumeric string of your password in order to use this method. There are many QR code generators online that can be used to create your own. QRStuff is one such generator.
Here’s a step-by-step guide that will show you how to enable your guests to connect to your WiFi without a password.
- The QRStuff website can be accessed here.
- An array of data types will be presented to you. You should select “Wifi Login.”
- You will need to enter your SSID (network name) and password now.
- Select the network type from the drop-down list.
- The QR code can also be customized in terms of color.
- Following that, a QR code will be generated based on the provided information.
- Now you can print it on a piece of paper by pressing the print button.
- Once completed, the paper can be attached to a wall or a desk.
Your guests can come in, scan the QR code with their phones, and connect to your wifi by scanning it. Users can also download QR code scanner apps from the Appstore or Playstore.
This method, however, does not work for devices without a camera.
Our quick read on connecting to an unprotected wireless network comes to a close. You can share your password with your guests or clients using the WPS method, which is the easiest and safest way to do so. In spite of the fact that their device does not support WPS, they are still able to control and secure their devices using QR codes.
By allowing unauthorized users access through a dedicated guest network, you enable tons of unauthorized users to access your network.